New members inducted into Phi Alpha National Honor Society
Ms. Deborah Riddick May 18, 2012
Nineteen students at Elizabeth City State University were inducted into Phi Alpha
National Honor Society, an honor society offering membership to college students and
professors associated with the field of social work. A list of inductees and their
1. Karen Allison of Elizabeth City, N.C.
2. Marceya Beale of Ahoskie, N.C.
3. Juanita Baum of Elizabeth City, N.C.
4. Gwendolyn Cooper of Edenton, N.C.
5. Tremmell Davis of Jacksonville, N.C.
6. Kawana Hall of Elizabeth City, N.C.
7. Tasheba Johnson of Elizabeth, City, N.C.
8. Nashauna Jackson of Elizabeth City, N.C.
9. Tiffany May of Elizabeth City, N.C.
10. Jasmine J. Moore of Charlotte, N.C.
11. Vanessa Parchment of Elizabeth City, N.C.
12. Nikia Reid of Elizabeth City, N.C.
13. Imani Shaw of Durham, N.C.
14. Sherry Schodt of Elizabeth City, N.C.
15. Felicia Smith - Fayetteville, N.C.
16. Alice Spragin of Elizabeth City, N.C.
17. Jasmine Spruill of Creswell, N.C.
18. Amber Stanley of Southern Shores, N.C.
19. Tiara Watford of Ahoskie, N.C.
The Pi Psi Chapter of Phi Alpha National Honor Society for Social Work was established
at ECSU on Feb. 15, 2010. In April 2010, the chapter held its first induction ceremony
with 13 members. In April 2011, 21 new members were inducted. With this year's induction
of the 19 new members, ECSU has added a total of 53 students of excellence to the
prestigious honor society in just three years.
The speaker for the induction ceremony was Dr. Velma B. Blackmon, director of the
ECSU Honors Program. Advisors to the honor society chapter are Tommy Cox, lecturer,
and Deborah Riddick, assistant professor, both in the social work program.
Officers for the 2011-2012 academic year:
Konstance Costen - Vice President
Sandra Sawyer - Secretary
Shanteessee Davender - Treasurer
Karen Allison - Activities Coordinator